The Automotive Stadium (or
"Autostade" as referred to in French language) became a venue for the
Montréal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League (CFL) from 1968 - 1971
and then from 1973 - 1976.
The venue was demolished shortly after the Alouettes moved to the
Photo credit: from the Claude Latour collection
with our sincere thanks.
A Brief History on the Automotive
by Claude Latour
Open in 1966 (before Expo 67);
Design by Victor Prus & Maurice Desnoyers
- Was a dismountable stadium of officially 25,000
- The construction cost was $3,300,000;
- Sponsored by five member companies of the
Motor Manufacturers Association of Canada;
- It was the stadium for The Beavers football team of
the Continental League;
- It was the location of 6 major events during
- It was supposed to be the home for the Montréal
Expos Baseball team;
- The stadium was also the home for the 57th Grey Cup
- The stadium have received some great rock music
concerts like Pink-Floyd.